Katerina Emery - Attendance Officer
POLICIES AND REGULATIONS
1. Students who expect to be successful in school need to attend school regularly.
2. Students are expected to be in class every day. Anyone missing over ten (10) days in a course may automatically fail the class. Students must be in class for one-half of the allotted time to be counted present. There may be a few, exceptional, legitimate causes for a student to miss instruction, and these will be determined in an administrative review at the end of each semester.
In reviewing a student's absences, the Principal will check with the guidance counselor, the classroom teacher, the attendance office, and the student's attendance file to determine the reasons for the excessive absences. If there is not medical or legal documentation for the absences in excess of 10 for a class, the grade will be changed to an F (59) unless the cumulative grade is below a 59.
Opportunities exist for students to make up absences through the Saturday School program.
3. Upon returning to school from an absence, a student should submit, to a designated area, a written note from his/her parent or guardian. This note should include the following:
(a) The full name of the student.
(b) The reason for the absence.
(c) The student's grade and homeroom number.
(d) The parent's or guardian's telephone number at which he/she can be reached during business hours for verification.
(e) The signature of the parent or guardian.
This note serves the purpose of informing the school that a student's parent/guardian is aware of the student's absence.
4. Arrangements for make-up work must be made with the teacher within two days of an absence.
5. Students who miss class due to involvement in field trips or athletic contests are responsible for obtaining their homework and/or assignments prior to attending the field trip or athletic
contest. All assignments are due as scheduled by the teacher.
6. A student will not be allowed to take a field trip if he/she has missed more than two days per month of school. School sponsored activities do not count as absences against field trips. A student will not be allowed to take a field trip if he/she does not have an emergency card on file in the Main Office.
7. When a student arrives tardy to school, the student will report to the main office for a tardy pass to class. Each tardy that a student receives will apply to the discipline schedule for all tardies.
8. All tardies to school are considered unexcused with the following exceptions:
(a) Documentation from a medical doctor
(b) Dealing with a legal matter (with appropriate documentation from an attorney, court, etc.)
(c) Parent/ legal guardian comes into the school in person to sign a student into school. Without medical documentation, a parent may excuse a child’s tardiness 10 times per semester.
9. Students who are not in their classroom when the tardy bell begins ringing are tardy to class.
10. By School Board policy, students are required to be in school for a full day unless they are in a coop program. Only the superintendent of Fauquier County Public Schools may grant an exception to this policy. Students are not allowed to use daily Early Dismissals or Tardies to School to “drop” a class.
11. Tardies and class absences are kept by each teacher. Students who are not in their classroom when the tardy bell begins ringing are tardy to class. Parents will be notified of class absences on the report cards. Excessive Tardies to Class will be applied to the discipline schedule for all tardies.
12. Teachers will assign consequences to students who are tardy to class. Any student who does not fulfill the discipline assignment will be referred for further disciplinary action. When a student receives excessive tardies to school, the student will be referred to an administrator to receive the consequences of his/her tardiness.
13. Students who are tardy to class by 5 minutes or longer will be referred to the office for a cut.
14. If a student needs to leave school early, the student must present a note requesting the early dismissal to the office before first period. The request must include reason(s) for leaving, time of requested dismissal, and parent/guardian's signature and telephone number for verification. An Early Dismissal will be granted for the following reasons: medical appointments, court appointments, or emergency situations. The office will only grant an early dismissal by phone call if there is an emergency. Students who abuse the privilege of Early Dismissals may be prohibited from having Early Dismissals unless the parent comes in to sign out the student . Students may be limited to 10 early dismissals per semester. If a student leaves school without signing out in the Main Office, or leaves school property without permission, the student will be processed for a Class Cut. Further disciplinary action may be taken. On exam days, no early dismissals will be issued during an exam period.
15. All tardies will be disciplined by the following schedule:
3 warning letter
4 1 day After School Detention
5 1 Saturday School day or 2 days of After School Detention.
6-9 2 Saturday School days, 4 After School Detentions, or 3 days of In School Suspension
10+ Mandatory Parent Conference and 2 Saturday Schools
days, 4 After School Detentions, or 3 days of In School
The tardy count will renew each Term.
When a student accumulates tardies to school, the privilege to park on school property may be suspended according to the following schedule:
5 5 day suspension of parking privilege
6-9 10 day suspension of parking privilege
10+ 15 day suspension of parking privilege
16. A student who misses an After School Detention or Saturday School will be rescheduled once during the year without consequence. Any additional misses will result in 2 days of OSS.
17. If a student parks on school property during a parking suspension, or if any car is parked in the student’s assigned spot, the car will be booted, and the student will have to pay a $30 fee to unlock the boot.
18. Once a student arrives on school property, the student may not leave school grounds without permission from the main office.