Margaret M. Pierce Elementary School's History
Margaret M. Pierce Elementary School was opened in 1932, known then as the John Barton Payne High School. Years later, the Bealeton High School was built to serve secondary level students. This school was renamed, Remington Elementary School. In 1980, a new wing was added to the original structure. The entire complex was renamed in honor of its principal, Miss Margaret M. Pierce.
The bell, located in the roof of the lobby, was originally mounted on top of the first Remington High School, built in 1907. After the school burned, the bell was in the possession of Mrs. Evan Ashby. It is with gratitude that we thank her for the donation of the bell to Pierce Elementary School. It represents a continuity of excellence in education in Remington.
In 1996, a renovation project began, which included the demolition of the 1932 structure, the addition of two new wings, and the updating of the 1980 wing.
The Turtle was selected as the school's mascot because Ms. Pierce loved turtles. The current design was created in 2007 by Mrs. Margaret Stine who served as the art teacher at that time.
Today, Pierce serves preschool through fifth grade, with an approximate enrollment of 540 students.
Saturday, March 8, 2014