The Professional Learning Program
Logon to Frontline Professional Growth to view classes and transcripts.
Fauquier County Public Schools
Professional Development Program
Fauquier County Public Schools offers effective and intentional professional development to all certified staff through workshops, sponsored courses, and in-service training.
Content is offered through a variety of formats such as after school and weekend workshops, training during contractual time, online opportunities, summer consortium classes, and sponsored courses and conferences.
Fauquier County Public Schools strives to offer professional learning opportunities that fit all schedules and curriculums while also providing teachers with continuing education hours to fulfill their state licensure requirements.
This continuing education will guide teachers as they experience the roles of both teacher and lifelong learner thus allowing them to better connect to their students.
The importance of professional development lies not only in learning but in the communication, growth, and collaboration that is fostered through a variety of instructional opportunities.
- Any college credit course can be counted for professional development credit. A three credit college course earns 90 hours of recertification.
- Full tuition will be paid for FCPS-hosted courses. All FCPS hosted courses will be announced via email as they come available. Tuition reimbursement is available for dual enrollment certifications.
- Certified employees are responsible for submitting transcripts and certificates and meeting the state requirements that apply to their licensure renewal.
- Any certified employee may request credit for an independent professional development activity, including outside events, by submitting a request for credit through Frontline Professional Growth.
- With administrative approval, certified employees are encouraged to present workshops for their peers and should submit the request through Frontline Professional Growth. Professional development should encourage a sustained focus on instructional improvement and learning.
- Conference funding is made available for each school and approved by the Principal. Certified employees should submit a request for funding prior to the event through Frontline Professional Growth.
Fauquier County Public Schools Required Content:
- For all certified staff: 15 hours of professional development must be completed outside of contract time yearly between May 1 of the previous year and June 30.
- For all certified staff: professional development should be completed yearly in order to meet state renewal requirements within a goal of 36 hours for five year renewal periods to meet the 180 hour renewal requirement and 27 hours to meet the 270 hours for ten year renewal periods.
- For CTE: active certification in CPR and First Aid
- For Science 6-12: Active certification in Flinn Science Lab Safety
- For New Special Education Teachers: IEP Writing and Progress Monitoring Training
- For All Teachers Who Work With Students With IEPs: Training in Meaningful Participation in IEP Meetings
- For New Teachers: New Teacher Academy, and other ongoing new teacher training
- Cultural competency training: Each school board shall adopt and implement policies that require each teacher and any other school board employee holding a license issued by the Board to complete cultural competency training, in accordance with guidance issued by the Board, at least every two years. This training requirement goes into effect for the 2022-2023 school year. An addendum will be forthcoming. Please visit the VDOE Website for more information.
VDOE Licensure Requirements:
- Every person seeking initial licensure or renewal of a license must complete 1) Child Abuse and Neglect Recognition and Intervention 2) Dyslexia Awareness 3) Hands-On CPR/AED and First Aid Certification 4) Cultural Competency and 5) 180 hours of professional development for five year renewal periods, 270 hours for ten year renewal periods.
- Endorsed to teach (i) Middle school civics and economics or (ii) high school government or history must complete the Virginia State and Local Civic Education Module.
- School counselor endorsed employees must complete Youth Mental Health and First Aid Training.
- History and Social Science endorsed must complete instruction in African American History
- School Counselor Endorsed employees must complete Youth Mental Health and First Aid Training.
Professional Learning Supervisor
Lead Instructional Coach and Mentoring Supervisor
Office Associate III
For Recertification Questions:
Human Resources Administrator,