FCPS Academy Programs
FCPS has three Special Academy Programs, one housed at each of the base High Schools
Cybersecurity Academy @ Liberty High School
Environmental Sciences Academy @ Fauquier High School
iSTEM Academy @ Kettle Run High School
Cyber Security Academy
Only rising 9th and current 9th graders are eligible to apply for this program which offers students the chance to explore one of the fastest growing career fields in the world. Protecting consumers, a company or your nation from internet threats is a great need need and the amount of trained professionals in this field cannot keep up with the demand.
If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Clark (firstname.lastname@example.org) our Cybersecurity Academy Lead Teacher or Mr. McCaslin (email@example.com) our Director of Counseling.
Specialized components of the CSA include:
- Cross-curricular courses with a cyber-security emphasis;
- Dedicated lab, co-curricular clubs, competitions, field experiences, and speakers
- Cyber Security related extracurricular and co-curricular community activities
To earn the CSA Honor Medal, the following requirements must be met:
- Students must complete all CSA required courses and maintain a 3.0 overall GPA
- Must complete 3 suggested electives
- Must complete 2 different industry certifications
- Complete an approved cyber security internship, service project or competitive event involving 40 hours of participation
To earn the CSA Merit Medal, the following requirements must be met:
- Students must complete all CSA required courses and maintain a 2.5 overall GPA
- Must complete 2 suggested electives
- Must complete 1 different industry certifications
- Complete an approved cyber security internship, service project or competitive event involving 30 hours of participation
To earn the CSA Certificate, the following requirements must be met:
- Students must complete all the CSA required course and maintain at 2.0 overall GPA
- Must complete 1 suggested elective
- Must complete 1 industry certification
- Complete an approved cyber security internship, service project, or competitive event involving 20 hours of participation
CSA student must maintain a C average and be enrolled in at least one CSA class each year.
9th Grade: Cyber Security Fundamentals
Cybersecurity affects every individual, organization, and nation. This course focuses on the evolving and all-pervasive technological environment with an emphasis on securing personal, organizational, and national information. Students will be introduced to the principles of cybersecurity, explore emerging technologies, examine threats and protective measures, and investigate the diverse high-skill, high-wage, and high-demand career opportunities in the field of cybersecurity.
10th Grade: Computer Systems Technology 1
Students enter the world of computer technology and gain practical experience in assembling a computer system. Students will install, configure, and secure various operating systems. Students will troubleshoot computers and peripherals and use system tools and diagnostic software. They develop skills in computer networking and resource sharing. In addition, students explore the relationships between internal and external computer components. Upon successful completion of the course, students may qualify to take the CompTIA A+ certification exam.
11th Grade: Cyber Security Software Operations
Cybersecurity Software Operations is designed to teach many aspects of computer support and network administration. Students learn networking concepts, from usage to components, and create peer-to-peer network systems and client server networks. Students learn how to install and configure network cards and connect them to networks; to install the operating systems; to create, set up, and manage accounts; to load software; and to establish, implement, and maintain network integrity security plans. This course may cover software-based network operating systems, such as Windows Server or Linux, to prepare students with a foundation in computer network administration.
12th Grade: Cyber Security Network Systems
This advanced-level course prepares students for postsecondary education and careers in the rapidly growing field of cybersecurity. Students gain competitive skills required to administer, analyze, and secure applications, networks, and devices. Students perform threat analysis and participate in risk mitigation. Concepts include understanding threats, attacks, and vulnerabilities; exploring technology and tools; examining architecture and design; analyzing identity and access management; demonstrating risk management; and examining cryptography and public key management. Upon successful completion of this course, students may qualify for the CompTIA Security+ certification exam. Individuals with a Security+ credential are well-equipped to further develop their skills toward a CompTIA Cybersecurity Analyst (CSA+) credential.