CYBER SECURITY ACADEMY
This four-year program hosted by Liberty High School focuses on the evolving and all-pervasive technological environment with an emphasis on new opportunities for securing personal, organizational, and national information.
Key Elements of the Cyber Security Academy include:
- Cross-curricular courses with a cybersecurity emphasis
- Access to dedicated lab, co-curricular clubs, competitions, field experiences, and guest speakers
- Cybersecurity-related extracurricular and co-curricular community activities
To earn the Cyber Security Academy Honors Medal, students must:
- complete all required courses and maintain at least a 3.0 overall GPA
- complete 3 recommended courses
- earn 2 different industry certifications
- complete an approved cybersecurity internship, service project, or competitive event involving 30 hours of participation
To earn the Cyber Security Academy Graduation Cords, students must:
- complete all required courses and maintain at least a 2.5 overall GPA
- complete 2 recommended courses
- earn 1 industry certification
- complete an approved cybersecurity internship, service project, or competitive event involving 20 hours of participation
To earn the Cybersecurity Academy Certificate, students must:
- complete all required courses and maintain at least a 2.0 overall GPA
- complete 1 recommended course
- earn 1 industry certification
- complete an approved cybersecurity internship, service project, or competitive event involving 10 hours of participation
ALL Cyber Security Academy students must maintain a C average and be enrolled in at least one required class each year.
Required Courses for the Cyber Security Academy:
- 9th Grade: Cyber Security Fundamentals
- Cybersecurity affects every individual, organization, and nation. This course focuses on the evolving and all-pervasive technological environment with an emphasis on securing personal, organizational, and national information. Students will be introduced to the principles of cybersecurity, explore emerging technologies, examine threats and protective measures, and investigate the diverse high-skill, high-wage, and high-demand career opportunities in the field of cyber security.
- 10th Grade: Computer Systems Technology 1
- Students enter the world of computer technology and gain practical experience in assembling a computer system. Students will install, configure, and secure various operating systems. Students will troubleshoot computers and peripherals and use system tools and diagnostic software. They develop skills in computer networking and resource sharing. In addition, students explore the relationships between internal and external computer components.
- 11th Grade: Cyber Security Software Operations
- This course covers many aspects of computer support and network administration. Students learn networking concepts from usage to components, and create peer-to-peer network systems and client server networks. Students learn how to install and configure network cards and connect them to networks, install operating systems, create, set up, and manage accounts, load software, and establish, implement, and maintain network integrity security plans. Upon successful completion of the course, students may qualify to take the CompTIA A+ certification exam.
- 12th Grade: Academy Capstone
- Students will demonstrate their knowledge and skills through completion of an independent project or relevant certification program of their choice.
Recommended Courses for the Cyber Security Academy:
- Digital Applications/Keyboarding
- Computer Information Systems
- Advanced Computer Information Systems
- AP Computer Science Principles
- AP Computer Science A
- Introduction to Computer Mathematics
- Army JROTC 1-8
- Turkish 1-3
- Arabic 1-4