1-2-3 Magic Outline
- Say, "That's 1" (show the number one sign with your fingers) & PAUSE 5-10 seconds.
- Say, "That's 2" (show the number two sign with your fingers) and PAUSE 5-10 seconds. This is a warning for consequence if behavior does not change.
- Say, "That's 3" (tell child to take a break, break starts when child is calm). Be consistent and follow through with the timeout/consequence. For serious misbehavior, use the Major/Minor.
- Consequence you have pre-arranged with your child/student.
- When the child comes out of time out, DO NOT continue to talk about the time out or what lead to the time out.
- Key concepts to 1-2-3 Magic success
- Be gentle
- Be consistent
- Be decisive and calm
Major rule to 1-2-3 Success
No talking and no emotion. When child comes back from timeout there is to be NO lectures, NO apologizing, and NO discussions. You (the parent/guardian/caregiver) MUST REMAIN QUIET!
1-2-3 Magic: 3 Step Discipline for Calm, Effective, and Happy Parenting
By Thomas W. Phelan, PhD
Focusing on behavior that is expected and focusing on the positive.