In response to severe weather or other emergency situations, school officials may find it necessary to close school, to delay the opening of school or to dismiss students early.
Please note that decisions concerning school closings are based on conditions across all of Fauquier County. While conditions may appear safe in one area, conditions may not be safe in another area of the county. Decisions about school closings, delayed openings or early dismissals are based on the best available information concerning conditions throughout Fauquier County.
Please consult the website and area media outlets for the latest information on school closings and early dismissals. Parents and students are urged not to call schools, administrative offices or radio stations as it is essential that these telephone lines be kept open for communication to schools and media outlets.
No announcements will be made when schools are open and operating on a normal schedule.
How Will the Public Be Notified?
In addition to the radio and television stations listed below, parents and students may obtain information about school closings and delays from the following:
1. Automated phone calls and emails to parents and staff via Blackboard Mass Notify.
2. School division's website at www.fcps1.org
3. Text message: Receive Tweets or a text message on your phone by texting "follow fcps1Alerts" to 40404 without subscribing to Twitter or if you already have a Twitter account, follow @fcps1Alerts. (If you would like to STOP receiving these messages, simply reply STOP or send a text messsage of STOP to 40404.)
4. Download the free Fauquier County Public Schools Mobil App from Apple or Google Play Store. Notification of school closings and delays are posted for all app users.
5. Call 422-7250 for a recorded message regarding emergencies and closings in English and Spanish.
WJMA (103.5/9 or 107.7 FM)
WFLS (1350 AM/93.3 FM)
WINC (92.5 AM/104.9 FM)
WTOP (820 AM/103.5 FM)
WFTR (1450 AM/95.3 FM)
WZRV (95.3 FM)
WRC-TV (CH 4)
WTTG-TV (CH 5)
WJLA-TV (CH 7)
FOX (CH 8)
WUSA-TV (CH 9)
Emergency Closing Make-Up Dates
Makeup days for school year 2019-2020 are as follows.
Day 1: Use banked hours*
Day 6: May 29 (built in)
Day 2: Use banked hours*
Day 7: February 17
Day 3: Use banked hours*
Day 8: Used banked hours*
Day 4: Use banked hours*
Day 9: Use banked hours*
Day 5: May 28 (built in)
Day 10: Use banked hours*
*Banked hours do not have to be made up
What If School Closes During the Day?
In the event that severe weather conditions occur after school opens in the morning or conditions deteriorate during the day, it is possible that students may be sent home early. On rare occasions, an individual school may also need to be closed for emergency reasons, such as a power outage.
Early school closings and dismissal times will be posted on the school division's website and sent to area radio and television outlets as soon as a decision is made. The information will also be communicated via the school division's automated phone system, Twitter, email and text messaging.