Introduction to the Library
Welcome to the Taylor Middle School Library Media Center
We are looking forward to a new and exciting year!
Keep posted to find out more about Library activities throughout the year!
English Teachers will schedule time in the Library regularly. Our goal is to have a reading book in each students' hands at all times. Encourage reading at home by reading with your child and allowing them to see you enjoy reading too!
Subject Teachers will schedule research periods for students which support class reports and projects.
Students may visit the Library from 7:15 to 7:30 am during Homeroom Monday through Friday. The Library is available for quiet study, group project work and use of computers. Printing privileges will be permitted within limits. The library closes at 2:10 pm each day.
- Checkout period is 10 school days. Books may be renewed unless they are new or on hold.
- Students may check out 2 books at a time except in the case of class projects.
- If a book is over 3 days due, a fine of 5 cents per book per day will be charged. Overdue notices are sent to teachers and parents and students
- regularly receive notice.
- Students are responsible for paying for lost or damaged books in order to replace the book.New books are purchased throughout the year in order to support the curriculum and foster reading for enjoyment. Every effort is made to provide age appropriate material for students.
Taylor Middle School Library Goal
The goal of the Library is to create an environment that is user-friendly, comfortable, andconducive to learning for students and staff. The library staff will provide a variety of materials which support the curriculum and teach skills necessary to effectively locate access, evaluate, and use information. It will foster the development of all studentsto become lifelong readers and learners.
Mrs. Reynolds has had 27 years experience as a classroom teacher at the elementary and middle school levels and 5 years as Librarian. You may email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or call her at 540-422-7481.
Taylor LMC Rules & Procedures
- Students may checkout 2 items.
- Students are charged fines of $.05 per school day per overdue item. $1.00 per book--the maximum fine.
- Overdue notices are sent out once a week during homeroom and parents receive email notification.
- Overdue lists are emailed to each homeroom teacher once a week.
- Students with overdue book or fines are not permitted to check out new books.
- Regular books may be checked out for an additional two weeks if not requested.
- The library catalog can be accessed from any computer with Internet access.
- The library has 16 patron stations in the library all with on-line access and there is one printer for student use.
- Students may visit the library from 7:10- 7:30 am to check out books or for quiet study time.
- Students may use the library computers to do any class assignment. A printer is available upon request.
- All students MUST have a pass when visiting the library.
- Gum, food, and drinks are not permitted in the library. Cell phones are used with teacher discretion.
- The library is a quiet place for study, reading, and research. Please keep your voice down but feel free to ask questions.
- THIS IS YOUR LIBRARY. THESE ARE YOUR BOOKS, MATERIALS, AND COMPUTERS. PLEASE TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT!
Taylor Middle School participates in the Virginia Readers' Choice and the Piedmont Battle of the Books. Multiple copies of all the books are available in the library. These books are labeled and are on display for the entire year. All of the books may be checked out by any student whether or not they participate in the reading programs. There will be a variety of book contests and activities througout the year that will be announced during the school day.
Students participating in the Virginia Readers' Choice must read 4 of the 10 books in order to vote for their book. The library hosts a voting party in late March to choose the best book and share snacks. Our votes are counted with all of other middle schools throughout the state and the winner is announced in April. Teachers may include this in their class lessons. The choices are listed below.
Mrs. Reynolds, the Librarian, Mr. Lucas, the Reading Specialist, and Mrs. Peterson, the Guidance Counselor will be heading up our Battle of the Books Team this year. Members read and write comprehension questions on 20 books chosen by the region's sponsors. Practice meetings will the third Wednesday of the month. There is a winter Open in January for all team members and the year ends with a multi-county competition. The book list is included below.
The Virginia Readers' Choice Selections for 2017-18
House Arrest by K.A. Holt
Booked by Kwame Alexander
Orbiting Jupiter by Gary Schmidt
Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson
The Thing About Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin
The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
The Seventh Most Important Thing by Shelley Pearsall
The Boys Who Challenged Hitler: Knud Pedersen and the Churchill Club by Phillip
A Night Divided by Jennifer A. Nielsen
Space Case by Stuart Gibbs
PIEDMONT REGIONAL MIDDLE SCHOOL
Battle of the Books List for 2017-1018
Cartwheeling in Thunderstorms by Katherine Rundell
House Arrest by K.A. Holt
Ghost by Jason Reynolds
The Blackthorn Key by Kevin Sands
Life as We Know It by Susan Pfeffer
Pax by Sarah Pennypacker
The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill
The School of Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
Hide and Seek by Katy Grant
Framed! by James Ponti
Some Writer: The Story of E.B. White by Melissa Sweet
The President Has Been Shot by James Swanson
Sachiko: A Nagasaki Bomb Survivor’s Story by Caren Stelson
Terror at Bottle Creek by Watt Key
Peak by Roland Smith
A Season of Gifts by Richard Peck
Wolf Hollow By Lauren Wolk
Projekt 1065 by Alan Gratz
Some Kind of Courage By Dan Gemeinhart
Wrinkle in Time by Hope Larson (Adapter), Madeleine L'Engle
Links to Helpful Sites and Book Suggestions
Copyrighting for Kids
Citing Sources for Kids
Pictures for Free
Many great Links-translator, Thesaurus, Encyclopedias, Biographies!
Books in a Series