All children can learn math! They learn math by exploring, investigating, observing and making connections with their lives and their needs. Math is a tool for engineering, technology, science and understanding their world. Math takes the problem and helps find, explain and make sense of the solution.
We each learn to understand mathematics through Virginia's Process Goals.
- Become mathematical Problem Solvers who are able to recognize and create problems from real-world data and situations, and then apply appropriate strategies to determine acceptable solutions.
- Communicate their thinking and reasoning using the language of mathematics. Students learn to describe and defend their ideas with precision and conviction, while at the same time, learn to question and debate with others.
- Reason mathematically in order to predict, test, evaluate and justify their thinking. Number sense, proportional and spatial reasoning are essential.
- Make Connections and build upon prior knowledge to relate concepts and procedures from other disciplines in their education and their lives.
- Represent and describe their ideas, generalizations, and relationships using physical, visual, symbolic, verbal and contextual representations.