- Fauquier County Public Schools
Virginia Updates School Immunization Requirements
June 10, 2021
The Virginia General Assembly passed House Bill 1090, which amends the minimum vaccination requirements for attendance at a public school in Virginia. The following new immunization requirements for kindergarten, seventh, and twelfth-grade students take effect on July 1, 2021, and will impact requirements for the coming 2021-22 school year:
Changes to kindergarten requirements:
- Two properly spaced doses of hepatitis A vaccine (HAV). The first dose shall be administered at 12 months or older.
- Two or three properly spaced doses of rotavirus, depending on the manufacturer, for children up to 8 months of age.
Changes to seventh-grade requirements:
- Two doses of properly spaced human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines for males and females. The first dose shall be administered before the child enters the seventh grade. (A parent or guardian has the right to decide if a child receives the HPV vaccine.)
- Two properly spaced doses of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MenACWY). The first dose shall be administered prior to entry to the seventh grade.
- A booster dose of TDAP vaccine is required for entrance into seventh grade. (July 1, 2019)
Changes to twelfth-grade requirements:
- Two properly spaced doses of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MenACWY). The second dose shall be administered prior to the entry to the twelfth grade.
The Fauquier County Health Department (330 Hospital Drive in Warrenton) is offering immunization clinics by appointment only this summer every Tuesday from 8:15 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. and on the first and third Friday of each month from 8:15 a.m.- 3:30 p.m. The Health Department is now offering COVID-19 vaccines to anyone ages 12 and up. Call 1-540-347-6400 to schedule an appointment.
What to bring to the clinic:
- A parent or legal guardian must be present to consent for minors to receive all vaccines.
- A copy of the most recent immunization record
- Insurance card/s (not required for COVID-19 vaccine)
- Proof of current income for the household: Current paystub within last 30 days, signed letter from employer on company letterhead OR last year’s income tax return. (not required for COVID-19 vaccine)
For more information, visit https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/immunization/requirements/.