Cedar Lee Renovation Virtual Community Forum
We invite community members to join us for a webinar to learn more about the Cedar Lee expansion and renovation project. Attendees of this hour-long webinar will learn about the construction plans and project timeline. Webinar participants will have an opportunity to submit questions to the architecture and engineering firm and school division administrators. The webinar will be live-streamed and recorded for viewing after the event.
Cedar Lee Renovation Community Forum
Thursday, July 23, 2020
6 - 7 p.m.
About the project:
Cedar Lee Middle School is a grade six through eight public school and one of five middle schools in Fauquier County, Virginia. The main building was designed and constructed for a junior high school in 1973, at the site of the old Bealeton (combined) School. The current structure, which includes the 1973 building and two additions completed in 1998, houses 649 students and 77 staff members. The facilities at Cedar Lee consist of forty-nine classrooms, a cafeteria, gymnasium, library, a technology education center, an agriculture science laboratory, and two computer labs. The building totals 105,062 square feet and is of single-story brick and block construction.
FCPS will increase the current student capacity by 300 students and provide for a core capacity of 1,000 students. Additional components of the project include:
- An increase to the gymnasium/PE area accomplished by the addition of an auxiliary gymnasium to accommodate the increased student body.
- The ability of the cafeteria area to accommodate one full grade level and the cafeteria serving lines. The design considers and includes increased food storage and serving infrastructure required to provide adequate services with the increased core capacity noted;
- Additional parking and a redesign of the bus loop to accommodate additional staff, parent parking, and bus capacity in the front of the school building.
- Expansion of the main office to provide space for additional staff needed to support the larger student population. The office redesign shall include a secured entry/access vestibule for the main school entrance
- The academic addition designed to include 12 to 14 classrooms, with the necessary teacher resource areas. Adequate custodial/utility and teacher support areas to consider efficiency as a result of the increased footprint of the building