- Fauquier County Public Schools
- Section 504 of ADA
- Preschool Programs
- Programs and Services
- Special Education Process
- PRC Parent Resource Center
- SEAC Special Education Advisory Committee
- Dyslexia Presentation
- Section 504 of ADA
- Do you suspect your child has a disability?
- Policy & Procedures
- Fact Sheets
- Services for Students Identified as Hearing or Visually Impaired
FCPS 504 Procedural Safeguards
FAUQUIER COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Section 504 Procedural Safeguards
In accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504) and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), Fauquier County Public Schools (FCPS) provides you with the following procedural safeguards in relation to your child:
- You have the right to receive notice of any proposed actions related to the identification, evaluation, or educational placement of your child.
- You have the right to consent to the administration of any individually administered assessments.
- You have the right to examine all relevant records of your child.
- For acts of misconduct, when a decision is made to remove a Section 504-qualified student from school for more than ten consecutive school days or when the Section 504-qualified student is subjected to a series of removals during a year that constitute a pattern and accumulates more than ten school days, a knowledgeable committee shall convene to determine whether the student's conduct was caused by the student's disability.
- You have the right to file a complaint with the school division over an alleged violation of Section 504 or the ADA.
- You have the right to file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights at the United States Department of Education.
- You have the right to an impartial hearing, with participation by you and representation by your counsel, for disputes concerning the identification, evaluation, or educational placement of your child.
- You have the right to appeal an impartial hearing officer’s final decision in court if you disagree with that decision.
The Section 504/ADA Coordinator for FCPS is the Director of Special Education and may be contacted at the following telephone number: (540) 422-7140. Please contact the Section 504/ADA Coordinator regarding any questions related to Section 504 or the ADA. You may obtain a copy of FCPS’s Section 504 Policies and Procedures by contacting the Section 504/ADA Coordinator at the above telephone number. Please note that all complaints and requests for impartial hearings and reviews must be in writing and submitted to the Section 504/ADA Coordinator at the following address: 400 Shirley Ave. Bld. B, Warrenton VA 20186